Biology Open (BiO) publishes Meeting Reviews. These provide a platform to support the dissemination of and access to meeting content for the global biological sciences community. Any meeting or conference that has received funding support from The Company of Biologists is eligible to apply to publish a free Meeting Review in BiO.
Recipients of Scientific Meeting Grants (NOT Small Meeting Grants) will be eligible to apply to publish a Meeting Review free of charge in BiO.
BiO Meeting Reviews are designed to enable early-career researchers to build their publication history and gain experience with collaborating to write scientific papers. As such, all authors should be early-career researchers (advice and guidance from senior colleagues is acceptable). Please also consider the diversity of the author group, for example with regard to gender and geographical location.
What BiO offers
BiO is an online Open Access journal that publishes peer-reviewed original research in all areas of the biological and biomedical sciences.
- Not-for-profit publisher; publishing with us supports the biological sciences community.
- Open Access publication with no Article Publication Charge payable.
- Articles published under CC-BY license.
- Articles indexed by PubMed, PMC, Scopus and Web of Science (Clarivate Analytics).
- Promotion of Meeting Review on BiO homepage and social media.
- Altmetric and usage statistics for all articles.
- Wide international readership.
- Member of DOAJ, OASPA and COPE.
About BiO Meeting Reviews
- Any recipient of a Scientific Meeting Grant from The Company of Biologists may apply to publish a free Meeting Review in BiO.
- The individual who completes the application must be in the organising group for the meeting and have the permission of all the organisers.
- BiO requires that all authors be early-career researchers, such as a PhD student or post-doctoral researcher. We also ask that authors consider diversity when assembling author lists.
- All applications will be assessed by a BiO Editor.
- We aim to notify you within two weeks of your application.
- Editors will make a decision based on the excellence of the meeting and the application. BiO is an international journal and will aim to feature reports from meetings around the world. BiO will also aim to feature a breadth of different subject areas from within its broad scope.
- Please note that whilst the quality of science remains paramount, we would prefer to support meetings and events where organisers have sought maximal feasible diversity in speakers in terms of geography, gender, age and career stage. We invite applicants to make a statement on these issues in their application to publish a Meeting Review.
- Successful applicants will be required to provide the Meeting Review within two months of the meeting taking place.
- Authors will be required to follow BiO’s guidelines for Meeting Reviews (these will be provided with notification that the application to publish a Meeting Review has been successful).
- The final decision to publish rests with the BiO Editor-in-Chief.
- Our legal basis for retaining personal information is legitimate interest. Unsuccessful applications will be retained for one year; successful applications for seven years.
Download Application Form
Guidelines for completing the application
- We are unable to give any guidance on your application.
- The application and all supporting documents must be completed in English.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The fund is limited and not all applicants will be successful.